NEW TO SOFTBALL?
No Problem! Here are some equipment guidelines to get you started!
Please make sure your player has the following gear ready to go on the first day of practice if possible. If you are having trouble finding an item or need help with sizing, please talk to a coach and we will help you. *Some gear is optional for summer clinics and other off-season practices.
- Glove: They DO NOT have to say “Softball” on them. Focus more on the length. We recommend:
Tball 9-10 in.
8U 10-11 in.
10U 10-11 in.
12/14U 11-13 in.
- Facemask: Plastic or metal is fine. Plastic can tend to be lighter and sometimes easier for the girls to tolerate but its up to you. NOTE: The fielding mask is not the same as the helmet guard.
- Helmet: Your batting helmet must have a face guard and a chin strap to ensure it stays secure when running. If you are comfortable, you are welcome to share with family members or try one of our spare helmets before purchasing your own.
- *Cleats: NO STEAL or METAL cleats are allowed. Molded rubber sole cleats are required. They are supposed to fit snuggly and remember that they will be wearing softball socks which tend to be thicker than regular socks.
- *Bat: Sizing will largely depend on your player’s size and weight. A good rule of thumb to follow is that bat should come up to their hip bone. They should also be able to hold the bat from the end, straight out from their shoulder. If they cannot hold it, it may be too heavy. We have a lot of bats you are welcome to try out for size and weight if you prefer before purchasing your own.
- *Practice Socks: Please avoid wearing game socks to practice and save them for game days. Purchase softball practices in a color of your choosing!
- *Practice Pants: We recommend a black or dark colored softball pant for practice as it is easier to keep clean, but any softball pant is fine.
- *Equipment Bag: Should be able to hold helmet, glove, bat and facemask and ideally be able to hang on the fence.
*Remember, some gear is optional for summer clinics and other off-season practices.
BALL SIZE PER DIVISION:
Tball/8u 10 in
10u 11 in
12/14u 12 in
PLEASE PUT YOUR PLAYERS NAME ON ALL GEAR AND EQUIPMENT! We will have markers at practice if you forget and need to mark gear there.
Some popular retailers that carry softball gear near Mira Mesa are:
Dick’s Sporting Goods
CLICK HERE for a printable version.